Friday, May 16, 2008

A Slice of Thought: Emotions and Unbelief

Emotions are crazy.

I was just looking at pictures from last summer's mission trip to Italy, when I started to get that feeling inside. Doubt. Reminiscing. You know it-- the "good ole' days" your dad talks about. In my household, it is talked about as a fact that college days are the "best" days of your life. Oh, and that song, "I hope you've had the time of your life." Even more than the redundancy of the Grease Soundtrack, I despise that song! I hear it every graduation, every end of camp, every conclusion of a job, every grande finale. Oh, and only to stir emotion and create an emotional response!
...Phew.
Emotional reminiscence is not only idolised obedience toward emotion, but it also dangerous-- dangerous in not trusting in God's future grace. It is a single brick unveiling a long wall of unbelief. If we don't believe that God will supply for us in the future as he has in the past-- we have nothing to live for. "Our life hangs on future grace," says JP. [John Piper likes me to call him this. It keeps him young, he says.] So easily do I find myself obeying emotions swayed my by emotions, triggered my music, or pictures, or simple conversation. How foolish!
"The Lord is faithful in all his words and kind in all his works." -Psalm 145:13

You would think our immediate response to remembering good things would be to say, "God, you are so good! Your faithfulness endures forever! I can not wait to see what You will do in the future!"
Praise God that He always remains faithful.





"Jesus Christ in the same yesterday, today and forever."
-Hebrews 13:8

No comments: